Tuesday, April 13, 2010

And then there was Monday...

If you read the previous post, you know that we spent most of the weekend in the hospital. Sunday night I ran some fever, and my husband, being the smart man that he is, had read the instructions the doctor gave us and knew we were to call her if I ran any fever. So he called and she told us if we could get the fever down to come back Monday morning to the office. I was under the impression that I might have a UTI and thought I was going in for a urine test and blood work. So Bradley went to work and my mom took me to Dr. Johnston's office. We had another ultrasound (this baby may have more pictures made before it's arrival than after). The tech never gave any indication that anything was wrong. Heartbeat was strong, etc. She sent us over to see the doctor. Dr. J followed my mom and me into the room and said something to this effect, "Your ovary is twisted. Maybe it's been twisting and untwisting causing the pain, but as of right now it's twisted and you need surgery today. I'll schedule you for 1:00." This was somewhere around 10:45. After a small panic attack and several phone calls, I was in a room ready for surgery at 12:55. Bradley, our families, and some close friends arrived in time to see me off. I have NEVER had surgery. And I had no idea what was about to happen. I knew there was a risk to the baby...our biggest concern. I knew they would try to drain the cyst, but might have to remove my ovary...another concern. So off we went...the next thing I knew I was headed to recovery. They told me my baby was ok and let me hear the heartbeat. They also told me they had to remove my left ovary and tube. We have been overwhelmed by the phone calls and messages from family and friends. This was a scary time for us both. Bradley told me this morning that he thought I was holding it together better than him yesterday. I thought he was holding it together better than me.

Let me give Flowers Hospital a little plug: There was not one person who we dealt with who did not go above and beyond their duties. They were the kindest and most patient people to work with...from the ER to the 2nd floor where we spent several nights. I think it is rare to find people of that quality. But they're still around. We appreciate each of them so much.

And the most important thing, I have to share how BIG God was in this. He showed His hand many times through this ordeal. It makes me so thankful and also so overwhelmed with emotion to think about it now. I had fever for a few hours Sunday night...that was all. Had we not noticed it, we would not have seen the doctor until next week. The blood supply to my ovary was cut off. If left alone, it could have been so much worse on the baby and myself. Also, the nurse I had going into surgery. God placed her there. She had been through the same procedure while pregnant. She told me her baby was fine and that she went on to have another. She was such and encouragement. She told me she was praying for me as they wheeled me out. This morning my nurse was unable to find a heartbeat. So they sent me for an ultrasound. My tech happened to be a sweet girl from Opp who I took dance with many, many, many years ago. She probably didn't know it, but I needed her familiar face this morning. And God knew it.

We are so thankful for everything. There's no way this post expresses it all. But we have no doubt that God was with us the entire time. Bro. Tony, who married us, shared a verse with us from Isaiah yesterday as we were preparing for surgery. I'm sure he had no idea that I've read that verse many times and that it's underlined in my Bible because I find it so encouraging. Thank you, God, for your presence and for your plan. We are filled with gratefulness for Your goodness.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. How sweet of the Lord to make His presence so near...been praying for you, girl. I pray that you are able to ENJOY the rest of your pregnancy : ) Also, I'm gonna pray that you have a cadillac delivery and that your baby sleeps through the night super early!!! You have paid your dues early. Wish I was close...I would bring you a meal :)