Monday, May 3, 2010

14 Weeks

My sweet husband told me last week that I'm "putting on a little weight". But he "meant it in a cute way" or so he said. I am 14 weeks today. I've reached that point where my pants won't button, but the maternity clothes are too big. I have decided I really do like an elastic waste though...I may stick with those after pregnancy. I also really like this contraption called a "bella band" that goes over my pants that will no longer button and holds them up.

I ran into a college friend at WalMart Saturday. It was really good to see her. (Hi Mandi) She told me I didn't make pregnancy seem very glamorous. It struck me as funny, but I've thought about that since I talked with her. I don't mean to make it sound that way. We are VERY THANKFUL for this pregnancy. But if I told you it's all been fun and enjoyable, I'd be lying. Physically, it's the hardest thing I've experienced and I haven't been through labor yet. But I'm sure not all pregnancies are like this. And even though it's been tough, I have no doubt it will all be worth it. We do feel blessed and are thankful.

In other news:
1. We have a crib. There's no turning back now.
2. Our dog did not sleep with us last night. Yeah!
3. There are 19 school days left.
4. I just ate a whole frozen pizza by myself.
5. I'm going to start running in about 6 months...someone remind me of of that closer to time.

Here's hoping your week is extra good and little things happen that make you smile.

2 comments:

  1. So excited to be reading your blog! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do this yet. I'm also excited about your baby bump! I knew you were adding a roomie but didn't realize you had been having problems. I'll add you to my prayer list and promise to move you to the top above, "Lord, please don't let me kill that kid." About pregnancy being glamorous . . . who does that woman think she's kidding? Pregnancy isn't glamorous; glorious maybe but not glamorous. I remember the nine months of nausea and the bruises on the OUTSIDE of my body because Erin liked to put her feet on one set of ribs and her arms on the other set of ribs to stretch. She was so active during the day that two of my students built that really large podium I still have so I could have something to hide behind. She was so active at night that I couldn't sleep. The only thing that would calm her was John's hand on my tummy. He would feel for the ever-moving lump and put his hand there. I don't know if it was the pressure or the warmth but she would get really still immediately. He did that for so long that I still wake up with his hand on my tummy sometimes even though it has been 18 years.

    Cherish your husband. It sounds like you've got one of the really good ones. You guys are blessed. Remember that even when you're lying on the floor truly doubting you can actually go through with this whole thing. Don't worry about labor. I obsessed from the moment I found out I was pregnant. No! First, I sat down on the bathroom floor and cried, and cried, and cried! Scared to death! And we did this on purpose! Your body takes over during labor and your brain takes a breather. It deserves one! It will have been working overtime on the imagination front for nine months by the time labor kicks in. Hold your husband's hand tightly, look into his eyes, and don't listen to anything he says. That is the advice my doctor gave me. Husbands have a tendency to say things they think are helpful but that really aren't. He'll mean well, though.

    I know really deep in my heart what a wonderful mother you are going to be. Every now and then remember to take a breath and wallow in the pure wonder of it. When that wonderful blessing finally arrives and you get to take it home, everything you've read in preparation will go out the window. I read Dickens to Erin because I was getting ready to teach it after maternity leave and I didn't know what else to do with her! John still laughs over that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! I can sympathize with you! I would absolutely not say that pregnancy is glamerous...or it's certainly not in my case. Lots of time in the toilet, sleepless nights, pains everywhere, moods from you know where. Then after all that, whats left of my body is REALLY not glamerous and the worst part about it is I CAN"T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Stretch marks don't disappear, and skin that's been stretched from here to China don't go back just like it's supposed to!!!!!! I'm just holding out for a tummy tuck in the future!!! But with all that said, you'll NEVER regret a second of it! It's funny how God makes us Mamas like that! It will all be soooooooo worth it~

    ReplyDelete