Thursday, November 11, 2010

The First Few Days

Ella Kate slept all night last night. I got up and went for a 3 mile jog. Then I came home and put on my pre-pregnancy jeans, cooked pancakes and sausage, and sat down to thumb through a magazine. Really. No, I figure those days are over. But I do hope to accomplish some of those things again. Probably never all in the same day/week/month.

Let me give you the "details" from our hospital stay. I was all good til they escorted us to our room Thursday night. I was unaware that it was to be my delivery room. But quickly became aware as I saw the spotlights aimed at my bed. It was then that I considered going back to the car and going home. We settled in and they started some medicine to prepare me for Friday. We didn't know it, but I was having contractions 2 minutes apart when we arrived. They weren't strong, but oh, they became stronger. I started an IV sometime around 1 Friday morning and kept it until lunch Saturday...hence the still swollen ankles/hands/etc. Friday progressed normally. I was at 3 cm around 10 when I decided I needed an epidural. (if you don't want these details, stop reading...I want a record of all this) I got to 5 that afternoon sometime and stayed...and stayed...and stayed. And around 8:30 that night our doctor decided it was time. I definitely didn't prefer a c-section. But when we heard her size, I'm glad it ended up that way. Also for memory's sake, I'd like to say that in honor of our Friday night traditions, we listened to a high school football game right up until time to go into surgery.

Bradley became locked out of the hospital at midnight because his drugged up wife was determined that we hang Ella Kate's sign on the door. I don't recall any of this, but being the good husband that he is, he braved the cold and went to the car. He returned to the door to see the sign that our entrance closed at 11 and he walked around Flowers Hospital to the ER entrance.

Monday night was ROUGH. I thought I was losing my mind. She was crying. I was crying. But it's gotten better each day. Feedings are rough, but we've come up with a plan that's working for now. Our baby girl has been quite content. She eats, then sits and looks around for a while, then she sleeps for a while. We had a great dirty diaper incident this morning. It was hilarious. Making memories..................this afternoon has been marvelous. Just some good down time for the 3 of us.

Our families have been more than generous with their time. We will never be able to repay them for all they've done for us. Our friends have been so good to us, checking on us, and offering encouragement. Our church family has provided 2 meals for us and it has been a huge help. We feel so loved and so blessed. We wanted our baby girl for a long time. And God outdid himself. I never thought I could love a child this much. (I'm tearing up again. It's not the first time today.) My husband is absolutely the best husband and daddy. I am amazed and my love for him grows each day. Thank you, God. My heart is filled to overflowing because of your blessings on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment