Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ella Kate's First Christmas

We've done nothing today but lay around in bed or in front of the fire. I'm still in my pajamas and it's almost 6:00. Sounds like the perfect day, doesn't it? I have a new book to read, compliments of Santa Bowers, but I haven't even cracked it open. I did vacuum and sweep. So it's not like I haven't done something productive.

Christmas takes on new meaning with a baby. In the days before Christmas, I was listening to my Christmas cd in the car one day. I began to think about Mary. I can't imagine the emotions she was feeling. It amazes me that the Savior we needed came in the form of that tiny baby. I became overwhelmed by the thought that God was willing to sacrifice His child to cover our sins. We love our baby girl more than life. It's unexplainable. It makes God's sacrifice for us seem so much greater than I've ever realized.

Ella Kate had a busy Christmas. If she's not exhausted, her mommy is. I love a good routine, and lots of visiting throws a kink in that. EK got loads of stuff. I feel the need to clean out her nursery to make room for the new clothes. She's going to be a well dressed baby, no doubt. She also got a mobile for her crib, a baby rocking chair, and a few books. We started a few traditions. These include, but are not limited to the following ; )
  • Sleeping in the living room floor on Christmas Eve Eve and watching a Christmas movie. This year we chose Christmas vacation because we should watch it before she's old enough to repeat the words.
  • New PJ's
  • Making Christmas cookies (my mom always did this with us)
  • Reading the Christmas story
  • Receiving a new Christmas book

I'm sure we'll add to these as time goes on.

I'm back to work a week from tomorrow. Does this make anyone else nauseous or sad? Because that's exactly how I feel. I don't want to be away from her. I'm looking at her right now laying beside me on the couch in her bunny rabbit sleeper and wondering if I'll cry all day Monday or just that morning. I'm leaning towards all day. My husband says it's fine if I don't go back, because my car can "go back" and our house can "go back". I'm sure I will survive. She's going to be staying at our house, and for some reason this gives me a little peace about leaving her. Wow, I'm tearing up just blogging about it. All you people without children think this is nuts. I know. I was one of you for 29 years. But it all changes, and fast.

Tomorrow, I get to see some really good friends for brunch. It'll be nice to visit and catch up. I'm looking forward to it. I plan on making the most of this week I have left. I'm going to be completely organized and skinny when I return next week. I may be an emotional wreck, but I'm going to look good and know where my stuff is. ; ) I'm kidding about both.

Maybe I'll blog again before I return to work, because the chances of it happening the week I go back aren't good. Did I mention there are 3 basketball games that week???? So not only do I have to spend the days away from EK, 3 of my nights will be the same way. My husband promises to come home and get her so I can see her.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. May your new year begin as one filled with promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment